A New Saint Ignatius House in the Hungarian province

Photos: Zsolt Pataki

The termination of the Ignatius Year saw a new beginning as well in the Hungarian province of the Society of Jesus. On the 31st of August, the official closing ceremony of the province did not take place in the Hungarian capital, Budapest, but in a tiny village called Székelybő/Beu in neighbouring Romania. This settlement near the Hungarian-Romanian town of Marosvásárhely/Targu Mures was among the places where the Jesuits had carried out their mission in Transylvania before the order was supressed and dissolved in 1773. It was also the Jesuits whose presence in the village resulted in getting back the local church from the Protestants, then the building was extended in Baroque style in the 18th century.

In present day, there has long been a need for a house in the neighbourhood for prayers, retreats and other community events. After a search with the local parish priest, the Hungarian province has found a suitable house in Székelybő, whose German name, Betendorf – meaning The Village of Prayer – also symbolizes a return to the spiritual roots. On the 31st of August, this house, named after Saint Ignatius, was blessed by Elemér Vízi SJ Hungarian provincial, accompanied by his fellow Jesuits from Szeklerland (the Hungarian area in Romania) and Hungary. It was also the occasion when the Hungarian Jesuits, following the request of Arturo Sosa SJ Superior General, renewed the dedication of their Society to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

Frissítve: 2022. augusztus 15.